Piazza Navona is an elongated, oval-shaped square that is bustling with city life. It is located in what used to be the Stadio di Domiziano, a stadium constructed around 80 AD as a venue for athletic competitions. The stadium's name was originally “in agone,” which became “navone,” which, in turn, became “navona.”
It was during Pope Innocent X's reign that the piazza was turned into a masterpiece of Baroque architecture. He ordered the reconstruction of the family palace, Palazzo Pamphilj, as well as the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone. The palace and the church still stand in the same place, facing the piazza.
In the middle of the piazza is the Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi, “Fountain of the Four Rivers,” designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini in 1651, and from which rises the Obelisk of Domitian. There are two other fountains in the piazza; to the south is the Fontana del Moro, and to the north is the Fountain of Neptune. Both were sculpted by Giacomo della Porta, although there were additions made by other architects, such as Bernini's statue of a Moor, added to the Fontana del Moro in 1673, and Antonio della Bitta's statue of Neptune, added to the Fountain of Neptune in 1878.
Other monuments in the piazza are the Stabilimenti Spagnoli, Palazzo de Cupis, Palazzo Torres Massimo Lancellotti, Church of Nostra Signora del Sacro Cuore and Museo di Roma. Tourists can get there by bus numbers 30, 70, 81.
Piazza Navona, 00186 Rome, Italy
Buses 30, 70, 81